DPH confirms outbreak of norovirus at Gerry’s Donuts in Ellington after reports of customers falling ill last week

Food

ELLINGTON, Conn. (WTNH) — The Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH) has confirmed an outbreak of norovirus from food service Gerry’s Donuts in Ellington on Wednesday evening.

Their statement reads:

DPH’s Epidemiology and Food Protection Programs, along with the State Laboratory, are collaborating with the North Central District Health Department in the investigation of an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness involving Gerry’s Donuts in Ellington that has now been confirmed through laboratory tests to be caused by norovirus. Norovirus is a very contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea. People of all ages can get infected and sick with norovirus. When a norovirus outbreak involves multiple persons from different towns, as is the case with this outbreak, it is not uncommon to see additional cases of norovirus occur because of person-to-person transmission of the virus in the community.

In general, you can help protect yourself and others from norovirus by washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water. You should also avoid preparing food for others, working in a day care center, health care facility or food service establishment if you have gastrointestinal symptoms – vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, low grade fever – and seek medical attention if those symptoms become severe. This is the second foodborne outbreak of norovirus reported to DPH in 2021 and a reminder of the importance of preventing foodborne illnesses. Between 2015 – 2019, an average of 10 norovirus foodborne outbreaks were reported to DPH each year. In 2020, there were three, all occurring between January – first week of March.


After reports of people recently falling ill, the North Central District Health Department is warning food-goers on Friday to not eat food products from Gerry’s Donuts in Ellington.

According to the North Central District Health Department, several reports released of gastrointestinal illness from those who recently ate donuts and other products from Gerry’s Donuts.

They say symptoms reported include vomiting and diarrhea. Any leftover products in homes are being asked to be thrown away.

Gerry’s Donuts released a statement on Facebook saying:

We would like to acknowledge the fact that numerous customers may have fallen ill after visiting our shop this past weekend. We take our customer’s safety seriously and would like to apologize if Gerry’s Donuts contributed in any way to this illness. We are not taking this lightly and will open back up for business as soon as we feel it’s safe… Thank you for your continued loyalty

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss