2 suffer smoke inhalation in SCSU dorm fire

News

Two people suffered smoke inhalation after crews responded to a fire at a Southern Connecticut State University residence hall in New Haven early Tuesday morning.

The New Haven Fire Department tweeted that at around 2 a.m., fire crews responded to the West Campus Residence Complex at 160 Wintergreen Avenue after a sprinkler head was activated. 

Fire officials say that the fire broke out on the second floor and they believe that it started in a trash can.

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation but both refused to go to the hospital. 

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to one room but students were evacuated from the building. Most of the students have since been allowed back into the dorm. 

Officials say that the sprinklers going off helped to put out the flames so smoke was more of an issue as it filled up the second floor. 

The incident remains under investigation. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

Waterbury Arts Magnet School all remote learning through Wednesday after staff member tests positive for COVID-19

News /

West Haven passes resolution to limit length of dog leashes in town

News /

Meriden Fire Department battles blaze at home on Spice Hill Dr.

News /

Meriden Fire Chief updates Spice Hill Drive fire

News /

New Haven PD investigating shooting in East Rock neighborhood, one injured

News /

Volunteers help the environment by removing garbage from Naugatuck River in Ansonia

News /
More New Haven

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss