NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Five high school students in New Haven were taken to the hospital after ingesting a food-like substance believed to be infused with an illegal substance.

New Haven Public Schools said the five students attended Hillhouse High School.

The New Haven Police Department and paramedics responded to the scene.

Mayor Justin Elicker told News 8 that one student brought in an edible and shared it with four other students. All are in stable condition.

It is unclear what exactly was in the edible, but one student was vomiting.

Schools have dealt with drug use several times this year. In January, five students at Bishop Woods School in New Haven were hospitalized after eating chocolate edibles laced with THC. In Hartford, a 13-year-old student died following a fentanyl overdose at school.  

“We had a similar incident if you recall at Bishop Woods School just a few months ago and as a parent, it’s terrifying to think that your kid might eat something and get really, really sick. In Hartford they actually had a kid die because of this,” Elicker said.

Experts News 8 spoke with said it is never too early to talk to your kids about drug use.

“Drug use starts at 14, 15, 16 and even younger than that, and it usually starts with marijuana and edibles, and it can progress to other things,” said Alyssa Kassimis, a licensed alcohol and drug counselor with Retreat Behavioral Health.

She said the “say no to drugs” message won’t work with teens. Instead, try educating them about substance abuse.

“If you tell someone not to do it, they’re probably going to do it. So it’s important for them to ask those questions and have that open conversation.”

The situation remains under investigation.

Stay tuned to News 8 for updates on this story.