PLAINFIELD, Conn. (WTNH)– A 6-year-old girl has died after a fire broke out at a Plainfield home Wednesday night.

Police say two officers responded to a house fire at 10 Winsor Avenue, just before 10:45 p.m., after receiving a 911 call. Upon arrival, they found a heavily involved structure fire and reports that the residents could still be trapped inside the home.

Police say the officers had to break through a bedroom window to save a woman and her 18-month-old son from the burning home. The smoke was so bad and intense in the house that the cops had to keep going to the window for air, before they were able to get them out.

“It is wicked hot, it’s very smoky, you can’t breath and there’s somebody screaming in that room for help,” explains Plainfield Fire Marshal Paul Yellen.

First responders from Plainfield, Moosup, Central Village, Atwood Hose, Canterbury Ambulance, multiple Moosup American Legion Ambulance, and American Ambulance all responded to the scene.

Police say a 6-year-old girl was found dead inside the home. 

“She was sweet,”says Willie Gibson who has been friends with her father for 18 years. “She was fun. She was a good girl good girl.”

“Especially in their situation I believe they have an 18 month old so and that’s going to be… in my mind he’s not going to really know his sister like that other than pictures cause of that age his memory is not going to be that strong,” says neighbor Markeith Conyers. “So it’s just another layer of sadness on top of everything that’s going on right now.”


The woman and baby were taken to William W Backus Hospital for treatment. The woman is currently in critical condition at a Rhode Island hospital. Her son was treated and released from the hospital.

The father who was celebrating his birthday Wednesday night at a neighbor’s house ran home in horror.

“Obviously phenomenally distraught,” says Yellen. “Kept saying my other child is still in the house.”

Two police officers were also transported to Backus Hospital, where they were treated for smoke inhalation and later released.

The house was built by Habitat for Humanity for the family and they just moved in over the summer.

“When they first moved in I met the family three days afterwards and they were just excited,” says Conyers. “You know living the American dream.”

The Fire Marshal says they have gotten a search warrant to go into the home and begin the investigation.


The fire remains under investigation by The Connecticut State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit, the Plainfield Fire Marshal, and the Plainfield Police Department. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.

“Right now people are trying to reach out what can they do,” says First Selectman Paul Sweet. “Classrooms talking to kids. Everybody wants to help.”

The town is collecting money donations for the family.

Checks can be sent to:

Town of Plainfield

Fire Victims Fund

Plainfield Town Hall

8 Community Ave.

Plainfield, CT 06374

Make check out to: Town of Plainfield

Notation: Fire Victim