According to the Town of Plainfield Animal Control, a black bear has recently been spotted several times in the area of Bishop Crossing Road.
On Wednesday morning, a resident had woken up to find their young lamb missing from where it was housed in a chain link enclosure.
The enclosure was destroyed, with the wood housing tipped over. The lamb who was inside it is presumed to have been killed by the bear.
Animal Control is now working with DEEP to locate that bear. They are asking residents to avoid any contact with the bear but instead call them at (860)-564-8547 if spotted.
They have also released the following tips to avoid attracting bears on your property:
- Remove bird feeders from your yard.
- Tightly secure trash containers.
- Refrain from feeding pets outdoors.
- Thoroughly clean your grills after each use.
- If you own livestock, please consider locking them in at night or enclosing their area with electric fencing or reinforced wire.
Free download: Access Connecticut breaking news, weather, stream newscasts live and more on-the-go with News 8 alerts directly to your phone.