(ABC News)– Law enforcement sources have named Mark Anthony Conditt as the suspect in Austin’s string of deadly bombings.
Conditt, 24, was killed by one of his explosives earlier this morning.
He is believed to have been a resident of Pflugerville, Texas, a town just north of Austin.Related content: Explosion in Austin injures 2 men, authorities say; fourth incident this month
The confrontation occurred in Round Rock, approximately 20 miles north of Austin, where the string of bomb attacks began almost three weeks ago.
Police zeroed in on Conditt as a person of interest over the last 24 to 36 hours, eventually locating his vehicle with the help of surveillance teams, authorities said at a press conference early Wednesday.
Local and federal authorities took up positions near a hotel where he had stopped his vehicle, awaiting tactical teams to help apprehend him.Related content: Explosion rattles shipping facility near San Antonio, days after Austin bombings
Conditt, after beginning to drive away, stopped on the side of the road and as Austin SWAT team members approached he detonated a device while inside his vehicle. One officer was knocked back and suffered minor injuries, and another fired at Conditt.
Residents of Austin had been on edge ever since the bombings began March 2, killing two people and injuring at least four others.
The first three involved packages left on porches, while the fourth, which injured two men ages 22 and 23 on Sunday night, was detonated by a tripwire tied to an explosive device.Related content: Deadly package bomb could be linked to earlier Austin attack
On Tuesday, an unexploded bomb was discovered at a FedEx facility in Austin, two sources told ABC News. That’s the sixth device tied to the serial bomber — five package bombs and the device tethered to the tripwire.