Carbon monoxide scare sends 3 to hospital in Manchester

News

It was a close call for several families in Manchester on Wednesday as their homes filled with carbon monoxide.

Tara Burgess said, “I was woken up around 9:30 with big bang at my door one of the neighbors from downstairs.”

Firefighters were called out to this duplex on Maple Street. Six people were inside at the time. 

Fire Chief David Billings with Manchester Fire Rescue said, “When we arrived on scene, we had the gas detection equipment ready and discovered that in fact there was 50PPM of carbon monoxide at the front door.”

Firefighters ventilated the house, removing the carbon monoxide. Fire officials said a furnace was not working properly, and that was the source of the carbon monoxide.

Tara Burgess said, “I didn’t really smell it until I got outside the hall and everything in and half down the stairs.”

Fire Chief Billings said, “Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and it’s a little bit lighter than air.”

Chief David Billings added that every home needs carbon monoxide detectors.

Related Content: How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home

“You could be exposed to carbon monoxide in your home, in your business and not be aware of it until it got to a high enough level where you really started to have symptoms,” he explained.

He said furnaces and chimneys need to be serviced on a regular basis.

Fire Chief Billings added, “It’s either a situation where the exhaust fumes from the furnace are leaking into the house, they are not being evacuated like they should be or there is a problem with the furnace equipment itself and the fuel is not burning properly.”

As for these families, they said they’re just lucky to be okay. 

Cindy Smith said, “My mother is a senior citizen. My brother-in-law just got out of the hospital almost a month ago. He was sick and they were the two in the house.”

Burgess said, “Luckily, my daughter was at school. We did get a cat out from upstairs on the other side, so the cat was okay.”

Chief Billings stated that the duplex did not have carbon monoxide detectors. 

Officials say all patients have been released and residents have returned to their homes.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Hartford

Pratt and Whitney site helps shift COVID-19 vaccination process into high gear for CT residents

News /

Shooting investigation underway in Hartford

News /

One person dead after house fire on Elmfield Street in West Hartford

News /

One person with serious injuries after car strikes utility pole in Waterbury

News /

Hartford HealthCare launches mobile vaccination clinic

News /

2 arrested after vandalizing Sandy Hook mural in Southington, doing $2.5K in damage, police say

News /
More Hartford

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss