A Florida couple is crediting their cat with saving their lives.

When the couple got home from dinner last week, they just wanted to get out of the rain. They forgot to push the off button on their car, and it sat in the garage all night emitting carbon monoxide, silently poisoning the house. 

At around 1 a.m., the couple’s cat Bella started crying and woke them up. Weak from inhaling so much carbon monoxide, they were barely able to call 9-1-1. Firefighters gave them oxygen and took them to the hospital.

Related: Dogs get help for Florida owner going through stroke

“If she hadn’t cried and hadn’t woken him up, we would have never known and we would have slept though it,” Leona Jones, cat owner.

The couple has since put up great big reminder signs in the garage to turn off the car and have installed carbon monoxide detectors.