MURFREESBORO, Ark. (AP) - An 8.52 carat diamond has been found by a Colorado woman at Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park at Murfreesboro.
Park officials said Friday that the gem found by Bobbie Oskarson of Longmont, Colorado, is the fifth largest diamond found since the park was established in 1972. The park does not provide an estimate of the diamond's potential value.RELATED STORY: Woman unearths close to 4-carat diamond in Arkansas park
Park interpreter Waymon Cox said Oskarson found the gem Wednesday in the southwest corner of the 37½ acre search field and named it Esperanza Diamond for her niece's name and the Spanish word for "hope." Cox said the diamond is about three-quarters of an inch long and as big around as a standard No. 2 pencil.
The largest diamond found at the park is 16.37 carats and was discovered in 1975.Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Playing video games could help your kids lose weight
- Merck promises to lower drug prices
- Lamont calls Ganim "divisive candidate," compares him to Trump
- Groton oil spill clean up continues
- Teach your kids what to do if they're stuck inside a vehicle
- Study: Connecticut has the most expensive homes in the nation at risk for coastal flooding
- Vernon man arrested after allegedly using government-issued computer for child pornography
News 8 was crisscrossing the state since the storms began early Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Storms cause travel nightmare for thousands across the East Coast
- Tuesday thunderstorms cause damage, knock out power around Connecticut
- Report-It Photo Gallery: July 17, 2018 Thunderstorms
- Tuesday storm knocks out power for hundreds across Connecticut
- Wet weather to linger until around midnight, sunshine returns Wednesday
- Showers, downpours possible Sunday evening
- How to escape a rip current
According to a new LSU study, playing video games may be a secret weapon...Read More »
So far this year nationally, 27 children have died after being stuck in hot...Read More »
Three beach-front locations in Connecticut are a part of the top five most expensive homes at risk to coastal flooding in the country.Read More »
A food service worker at the Danbury federal prison is accused of trying to smuggle cell phones into the prison.Read More »