NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Five students at Bishop Woods Architecture & Design Magnet School in New Haven are recovering in the hospital after consuming edibles laced with THC at school Friday.
Police said a 13-year-old student brought chocolate edibles to school and handed them out to four other seventh graders, who became lethargic and began vomiting. That is when a teacher was notified about what happened.
All students were taken to the hospital for evaluation, according to police. They are going to be alright.
School staff conducted a sweep of the school and did not find any other students who had ingested the substance.
The chocolate was tested at the scene and found to contain THC, a component in cannabis, Mayor Justin Elicker said. It has been sent to a lab to confirm it did not contain any other drug.
School officials are urging children not to consume anything they did not get from their parents or the school cafeteria.
The school day continued, and social workers talked to students about what happened.
The incident sparked some tough conversations between parents and kids.
“I have to talk to her, you know, she’s growing up so I’m trying to say, ‘don’t share nothing with kids, just be careful,’ you know take care of them,” said Anahi Zelocualtecatl, a parent.
Elicker said he will be having a similar conversation with his own children.
“As a parent of a child, I’m going to go home tonight and talk to my child about not accepting any food or candy from anyone else accept for the cafeteria and me and my wife,” he said.