Standard service rates will jump 19-percent and 24-percent for Eversource and UI respectively. For the average homeowner using Eversource for the generation of energy, they can expect to pay on average $12 more each month. For UI, you'll pay on average about $16 more each month.
Consumers are urged to do their research because of monthly fees or enrollment or cancellation charges. Never sign a contract without getting the answers to your questions, including how long is the contract? Does it automatically renew? How much notice must be given to change suppliers?
Luke Frey, the Communications Manager with the Better Business Bureau says there are some tips to cut down on your bill even more.
"Have your thermostat set about 10 degrees lower than comfortable while you're out of the home or while you're sleeping," Frey said. "That could save you about 10-percent."
Related Content: Lawmaker wants state to investigate electricity billing
Frey recommends using a programmable thermostat and having curtains on your windows to hold the heat in.
According to the BBB, it's also the season for scammers. Experts say keep an eye out for suspicious calls or letters seeking an immediate response for personal information.
"Around these winter months, scammers go after utility scams or fraud," Frey said. "Since people are relying on their energy, they don't want their lights turned off they don't want their heat turned off."
- Judge bars citizenship question from 2020 census
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand jumps into 2020 presidential race
- Nike unveils its newest self-lacing technology for basketball shoe 'Nike Adapt BB'
- China making headway in growing the first plant on the moon
- New study links plaque build up to poor sleep
- Southington family wins the grand prize for the National Dreamvention contest
- Mystic Seaport Museum is offering free admission to furloughed federal workers
A massive winter snowstorm making its way across the Midwest and into the Mid-Atlantic region dumped more than a foot of snow in parts of Missouri and contributed to at least five deaths, authorities said Saturday.Read More »
- Preventing Frozen Pipes
- How to prevent pipe problems in the winter
- Connecticut plow drivers still waiting for winter weather
- A few rounds of light rain, dense fog for southern CT Tuesday night
- Clear and breezy for Thursday afternoon
- 2018: A Year of Crazy Weather
- Skies clearing and mild for New Year's Day
A Southington family is $250,000 dollars richer after winning a national...Read More »
The Mystic Seaport Museum is offering free admission to furloughed federal...Read More »
Firefighters responded to Hasbro Children's Hospital Tuesday night after a...Read More »
Police are investigating a shooting in New Britain on Tuesday night in the...Read More »
The Southern CT State men's basketball team had its 8-game win streak snapped over the weekend. Scott Burrell's Owls looking to start another one Tuesday night.Read More »
Everyone in the state chasing top ranked Danbury for high school wrestling.Read More »