According to Danbury police, the shooting took place in the area of Ellsworth Avenue and Hospital Avenue. Officers report one shooting victim is being treated at Danbury Hospital after being shot in the arm.
Police said the shooter was last seen in the area of Wooster Cemetery. Officers described the suspect as a young African American man wearing a blue dew rag and a black NorthFace backpack. It is unclear what led to the shooting.
At 4:25 p.m., Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton tweeted that Ellsworth Avenue school will have a controlled dismissal.
For those with children at Ellsworth Ave School, we are organizing a controlled dismissal. Not much detail on the incident on Hospital Ave.— Mayor Mark Boughton (@MayorMark) January 17, 2019
A few minutes later, Mayor Boughton reported that all lockdowns had been lifted.
All lockdowns have lifted. Students and staff are being released. #Danbury— Mayor Mark Boughton (@MayorMark) January 17, 2019
The area of Hospital Avenue and Ellsworth Avenue is now clear.
Police are still searching for the shooter and conducting their investigation.
Units added that the preliminary investigation indicates that the shooting was not random and that there is no information indicating that the shooter poses an imminent threat to the public.
If you have any information that could help Danbury officers locate him, you're asked to call them at 203-797-4614.
- Study: Heart attacks on rise among young women
- Town of Hamden votes to ban single-use plastic bags
- 2020 hopeful Warren to unveil universal child care plan
- Key witness says Colorado man fatally beat fiancee with bat
- Trump nominates Jeffrey Rosen for deputy attorney general
- Boy collects $6K for border wall, sees support after mean comments
- Hartford police responding to 2 shooting incidents, one fatal
Despite a polar vortex across part of the country last month, this past January was the third warmest since record keeping began 140 years ago.Read More »
- Has precipitation this winter been 'normal?'
- Connecticut State Troopers on the lookout for ice missiles after snowstorm
- Report-It Recap: Connecticut cleans up from Tuesday snow storm
- Monitoring the roads on Tuesday evening in one of our Storm Team 8 Mobile Weather Labs
- Crews in North Haven ready for winter weather on Tuesday
- Cities, towns around state preparing for another winter storm
- Connecticut cities and towns prepare for Tuesday's winter storm
Town leaders of Hamden voted in approval for the ban of single-use plastic...Read More »
Police in Hartford are responding to two shooting incidents on Tuesday evening.Read More »
A rally is happening in Enfield on Tuesday evening.Read More »
The Ridgefield boys hockey team will try for its second state championship in...Read More »
President Donald Trump on Tuesday directed the Pentagon to develop plans to create a new Space Force within the Air Force, accepting less than the full-fledged department he'd wanted.Read More »
Town leaders of Hamden voted in approval for the ban of single-use plastic bags on Tuesday night.Read More »