Basement fire damages 2-family house, displaces 9 residents

Fairfield

STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) – A basement fire blamed on a heater has damaged a two-family Connecticut home and has displaced the residents.

The fire was reported at the Stamford home on Sunday night, when the temperature was below freezing.Related: Stamford firefighters battled working fire

Firefighters say the three-story wood frame duplex had working smoke detectors and all the home’s occupants had escaped by the time they arrived. Firefighters brought the fire under control within an hour.

The fire marshal says an electric space heater in a basement bedroom caused the fire.

Nine occupants of the home have been relocated by the American Red Cross.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss