Fire ball erupts at home in Norwalk after lightning strike

Fairfield

NORWALK, Conn. (WTNH) — Norwalk Fire Department responded to a lightning strike at a home on Richlee Road Monday.

En route to the home, the call the upgraded to a structure fire. When NFD arrived at the home, heavy fire was engulfing the rear corner and had worked its way into the interior of the home.

The two adult occupants and their two dogs were safely outside.

Firefighters entered the home through the front door to fight a fire that had engulfed the kitchen, dining room, and living room.

A second unit was simultaneously contending with a 120 gallon propane tank against the rear of the home that was blowing off pressure with a 40′ fireball.

One firefighter was injured when a section of the ceiling fell on him, knocking him temporarily unconscious. He was helped out of the building by firefighters that were in the immediate area.

He was later transported to Norwalk Hospital by paramedics. He is undergoing tests and in reportedly good spirits.

The fire was placed under control at 5:25pm.

The Red Cross responded and has made arrangements for the two occupants of the home, their two dogs, and their cat – whom firefighters found unharmed in the laundry room.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss