BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WTNH) — Two people are in the hospital and nine people are displaced after firefighters battled hard to extinguish a 2-alarm structure fire in Bridgeport Saturday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to the 700 block of William Street at around 12:50 p.m. Saturday.

A woman and a child trapped on the third floor were pulled from the fire and were transported to the hospital with serious injuries, according to the fire chief.

Fire officials say the blaze started on the second floor likely from a stove. There was a smoke detector found on the first floor, but none were found on the second or third floor, the fire chief said.

“It happened very, very fast. It went from not so bad to really bad in just a heartbeat.

We did find some smoke alarms on the first floor, but the other floors did not have smoke alarms. It’s the importance of early warning.

Again, those people were trapped on the third floor and had no idea there was a fire below them.”

– Chief Richard Thone, Bridgeport Fire Dept.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist displaced residents and to provide a temporary shelter due to the cold weather.

According to the Red Cross, they are assisting four families – five adults and four children in total – after the fire Saturday on Williams Street.