Police identify woman killed in Coventry house fire, ruled accidental

Connecticut

COVENTRY, Conn. (WTNH) — A woman has died and another person was injured after a fire broke out in a Coventry home overnight Monday.

According to police, the call came in around midnight for a house fire on 821 Main St. in Coventry.

Upon arrival, one person was found outside of the home with serious burns and pronounced dead on the scene.

The victim was identified as Cecilia M. Brackett, 76.

A second individual, identified as Basil O. Brackett, 79, was transported to Hartford Hospital for burns sustained in the fire.

On Jan. 2, crews said the fire started in the front of the house after a failure of an extension cord connected to a portable space heater. The fire has been ruled accidental.

“This is a heartbreaking incident that occurred to this family and our community. We commend the courageous efforts of the first responders, and our sincerest condolences go out to the family and friends affected by this loss.

The Town of Coventry and the Fire Marshal’s Office lends its support for the family, and all the first responders as they work through the pain they may carry from this tragedy.”

– Coventry Fire Department

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Tolland

No charges filed in vandalism of Black Lives Matter message on UConn's Spirit Rock

News /

5 arrested in Vernon in connection to shooting, drug trafficking; one shooter still at large

News /

Local songwriter has a message - 'Mask it Up'

News /

UConn now quarantining residents of Eddy Hall as COVID-19 precaution

News /

Lack of rain, heatwave in CT leads to northern counties facing drought

News /

Changes to UConn campus to keep students, staff safe amid pandemic

News /
More Tolland

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss