COVENTRY, Conn. (WTNH) — A woman has died and another person was injured after a fire broke out in a Coventry home overnight Monday.
According to police, the call came in around midnight for a house fire on 821 Main St. in Coventry.
Upon arrival, one person was found outside of the home with serious burns and pronounced dead on the scene.
The victim was identified as Cecilia M. Brackett, 76.
A second individual, identified as Basil O. Brackett, 79, was transported to Hartford Hospital for burns sustained in the fire.
On Jan. 2, crews said the fire started in the front of the house after a failure of an extension cord connected to a portable space heater. The fire has been ruled accidental.
“This is a heartbreaking incident that occurred to this family and our community. We commend the courageous efforts of the first responders, and our sincerest condolences go out to the family and friends affected by this loss.
The Town of Coventry and the Fire Marshal’s Office lends its support for the family, and all the first responders as they work through the pain they may carry from this tragedy.”– Coventry Fire Department