Avon High School evacuated on first day due to natural gas leak

Hartford

(Credit: PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP via Getty Images)

AVON, Conn. (WTNH) — Avon High School was temporarily evacuated on the first day of the school year Monday on a report of a natural gas leak, police said.

Police and volunteer fire crews were dispatched to the high school just after 8 a.m., where they evacuated everyone from the building and investigated inside. Fire officials determined the source of the odor was from the science classrooms.

Connecticut Natual Gas is assisting to find the exact location and cause of the leak.

There we no injuries or illnesses reported. There are no disruptions in regards to traffic and surrounding neighborhoods.

News 8 will update this story as more information comes in.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Hartford

Local Dunkin owner donates $100k to Connecticut Children's

News /

Community puts together lemonade stand to benefit woman abducted last week in Marlborough

News /

Hartford PD: Man injured in early morning shooting on Wethersfield Avenue

News /

Hundreds of trucks gather in East Hartford for 'Wishes-on-Wheels' event

News /

State police looking for evading vehicle involved in deadly hit-and-run crash on I-91 north in Wethersfield

News /

Bus driver shortage causes concern for South Windsor schools, families

News /
More Hartford

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss