Suspect dead in federal officer-involved shooting in Hartford


HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — An investigation is underway in an officer-involved shooting in Hartford that left one person dead Wednesday.

Members of the Safe Streets Task Force, which is made up of several local police departments, state police, and the FBI, were in the area of Enfield and Greenfield Streets around 9 am Wednesday conducting an investigation. Their mission is to investigate more serious crimes in Hartford.

State police say the task force came into contact with a known suspect — wanted for felony possessions charges.

“At this very same time, while taking the suspect into arrest, a secondary subject became involved in exchange of gunfire with officers here at the scene,” Trooper Jo Dorelus, Connecticut State Police.

State police say that suspect was shot and brought to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
We’re told by Hartford police it was a federal agent, who is part of the task force, was involved in the shooting.

“Anytime there is a loss of life, especially in our community, it’s tragic to say the least.”

The identities of the man who was killed and the suspect who was taken into custody have not yet been released. Investigators are working to figure out how they know each other, if at all.

“The association the secondary subject may have with the individual that was arrested this morning is unknown at this time.”

Also, on scene are several cars — one with deployed air-bags — which appear to have been involved in a crash. State police could not say at this time how or if this is related.

Connecticut Natural Gas was notified of the gas leak, and the leak has since been secured. It is unclear if it is related to the officer-involved shooting.

This is the second officer-involved shooting in the city within the last 10 days.

A joint state-federal investigation is ongoing.

Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin released a statement on the shooting:

While Hartford officers did not fire their weapons during this incident, we believe that it is important to make as much information as possible available to the Hartford community as quickly as possible. There will be a full investigation, and the Hartford Police Department will be cooperating fully in that investigation.  The information we have indicates that members of the task force exchanged fire with an individual, and that he was killed.  Our prayers are with everyone involved, and with the family of the individual who was killed.  This appears to have been a very dangerous situation, and I am grateful that no officers were injured.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Virtual public hearing to be held Monday surrounding climate change initiative Gov. Lamont wants CT to join

News /

Three people transported to hospital after multi-vehicle crash in Hartford

News /

CT State Police: Utah man drove wrong way on I-84 west in Southington, led police on chase, struck trooper

News /

New initiative hopes to combat chronic absenteeism of Hartford students struggling to get to class in remote, hybrid models

News /

Day one of COVID vaccine site for educators at Xfinity Theater in Hartford

News /

Wethersfield man released from hospital after battling COVID for months

News /
More Hartford

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss