EAST GRANBY, Conn. (WTNH) — All East Granby schools were closed Friday due to an ongoing police investigation, according to the town’s superintendent and emergency management director.

A joint letter to East Granby families and staff states a folded piece of paper was taken off a bus by an elementary school student on Thursday afternoon and contained a white powder substance. The student’s concerned parent alerted the district to this discovery.

“The substance was handed over to police and tested,” read the message from Missy Bavaro-Grande, superintendent of schools, and Ken Beliveau, emergency management director. “The results came back as crack cocaine and fentanyl.”

State police told News 8 those results are from a preliminary field test, and any suspected drugs get tested at the state lab for official confirmation. Those results aren’t available yet.

“I don’t even know how to react to this situation,” said Ethan, an East Granby student.

State police also said the initial investigation suggests the student was unaware of the contents of the package. They’re working to figure out where the suspected drugs came from.

“Take your kid home, educate them on what the child found, and help them understand what’s going on,” said Brittany Buchanan of West Hartford.

On Friday, News 8 spoke with Deputy Commissioner Jody Terranova of the Connecticut Department of Public Health about the danger fentanyl poses.

“A very small amount of it can be very, very dangerous if a child tasted it, sniffed it in, ingested it in some way,” Terranova explained. “Just touching it or being near it is not as worrisome, but you know kids touch things, then touch their mouths, touch their eyes, and then it can be absorbed. That’s much more of a concern.”

As for what’s next, the superintendent said closing the schools for the day provided police and narcotics dogs the necessary time to conduct searches of all buses and schools and time for proper cleaning.

Anyone with any information is being asked to contact police right away.

News 8 reached out to the superintendent and emergency management director for further information but have yet to hear back.

This is a developing story. Stay with News 8 for updates.