Extra police presence at New Britain High School Thursday following violence rumors


Talk of someone bringing a weapon to school caused a lockdown at New Britain High School Thursday morning.

The lockdown began when a student told a classmate about bringing a weapon into school after another student’s comment that alarmed people Wednesday.

By 7:30 a.m., New Britain Mayor Erin Stewart tweeted that the situation was under control, and there was no credible threat to students or staff.

Mayor Stewart, Police Chief James Wardell, and school officials made a video update on Thursday afternoon regarding the situation:

According to Stewart, the extra police presence at New Britain High School is a precautionary measure, and to reassure students, staff, and parents that they are safe.

By 10:30 a.m., New Britain Superintendent of School Nancy Sarra issued the following statement on the lockdown.

Statement from Superintendent Nancy Sarra regarding New Britain High School

On Wednesday, we were made aware of a rumor that an act of violence was being planned for today (Thursday) at New Britain High School. The NBHS administrative team and officers from the New Britain Police Department immediately investigated the matter.

After speaking with a number of students and staff, we found that this rumor began with an offhand remark that was made by a student in the classroom. That remark was overheard by students and shared with others. While the New Britain Police Department and the NBHS administrative team did not find the rumor to be
credible, we take every report seriously. As such, there will be extra police presence at NBHS throughout the day on Thursday and beyond.

We want to thank the students who came forward to report this. Working together, we can ensure that our schools and community are safe.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss