Fire destroys two-unit condo building in Glastonbury

Hartford

GLASTONBURY, Conn. (WTNH) — A two-unit condo building on Hollister Way South in Glastonbury is a total loss after a fire Friday night.

The road and entire area was blocked off while firefighters battled the blaze.

Glastonbury Fire Chief Michael Thurz said there were some slips and falls but no serious injuries. He said all occupants from both units got out safely.

Thurz said a 911 call came in from the property owner. He said the fire affected both units of the building. News 8 was told it started as a chimney fire.

Conditions were difficult outside with the cold weather and a lot of ice.

“It’s a cold night here, obviously we’re in winter,” Thurz said. “These are some of the elements that we have to face, which adds another challenge to any type of firefighting because once you have water on the ground, it automatically freezes. We had a couple people fall down there, thank God nobody got injured.”

They brought in a city bus so firefighters could go in and get warm.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Hartford

Connecticut emergency management team locked and ready for snow

News /

Winter storm preps: Bristol hardware store ready for last-minute customers

News /

Connecticut's youngest House Speaker in modern history reflects on 1st year in charge

News /

Conn. Senate Republicans call for action to address fentanyl crisis

News /

Crews across Conn. prepare for Saturday’s winter storm

News /

Food bank opens in Manchester with hopes of distributing $30M worth of food throughout New England each year

News /
More Hartford

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss