Police identify man who died from smoke inhalation in Hartford apartment

Hartford

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Police have identified the man who died from smoke inhalation in a Hartford apartment on Sunday.

The Hartford Fire Department says fire officials responded to a fire call on 359 Garden Street at 1:46 p.m. Sunday. No fire was present, but there was smoke. Officials say a body was found in the building and the person was a smoker who was on oxygen prior to the fire.

The victim was later identified as 67-year-old Roberto Marquez. He had suffered from smoke inhalation and was reported dead.

According to police, it was discovered that Marquez had a nasal oxygen cannula extended throughout the apartment and that the cannula had evidence of smoke/soot within.

Police say it it appears that a small fire had started in a bedroom on a small rug, next to the bed where Marquez may have been sleeping prior to the ignition of the fire. Police say that there’s evidence that a lit cigarette ignited the rug.

The death has been labeled as non-suspicious.

The incident remains under investigation.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Hartford

Annual Black Friday Blood Drive seeing record turnout in Manchester

News /

Holiday shopping a little different due to pandemic but shoppers already turning out ahead of official Black Friday

News /

Greater Hartford Harm Reduction Coalition Inc. uses Concert For Recovery grant to help people with opioid addiction

News /

Salvation Army feeds the hungry this Thanksgiving

News /

I-84 W exit 49 on-ramp in Hartford closed due to rollover

News /

City of Hartford releases 'After the Clouds' documentary highlighting those who went above and beyond during pandemic

News /
More Hartford

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss