HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A West Haven man was killed and two people were wounded, one seriously, after an exchange of gunfire in Hartford Friday, according to authorities.

Hartford police responded to the report of shots fired just before 2 p.m. on Newfield Avenue and found a man in his 20s who had been shot.

Police said the man was transported to a local hospital for treatment where he was listed in stable condition.

Police said the shooting was connected to two parties shooting at each other in two separate vehicles. Police said both vehicles fled the scene and chased each other onto Interstate 84 East.

The people inside the cars exchanged gunfire and two people in one vehicle were shot, which led to a crash on the highway. One man died in the shooting and another was seriously injured, police said.

The suspect(s) who fired the shots evaded the scene in their vehicle, according to police.

Connecticut State Police identified the fatal shooting victim as 36-year-old Omar Cruz-Torres. Authorities said Cruz-Torres was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police said a 35-year-old East Hartford man was seriously injured and transported to a local hospital for treatment.

Hartford police are still searching for the vehicle that fled the scene of the fatal shooting on Interstate 84. The description of the vehicle is not available at this time.

The crash shut down Interstate 84 Eastbound between Exits 46 and 48 in Hartford, the Connecticut Department of Transportation said. The area between Exits 46 and 48 in Hartford has since reopened.

According to the Department of Transportation, Interstate 84 Eastbound between Exits 44 and 46 in West Hartford have reopened.

There was also heavy congestion in Hartford Friday night due to ongoing events in the capital city. Rapper 50 Cent performed at the Xfinity Theatre and the MLB Home Run Derby X was held at Dunkin’ Park.

Hartford police said this brings the city to 27 homicides for 2023. There were seven homicides in five days in Hartford, according to police.

“This is highly unusual. Last year was a big year. We’re already ahead of where we were at this time last year. We didn’t start off that way. It’s a little sad that we ended up this way,” Hartford Police Lt. Arron Boisvert said.

Connecticut State Police and the Hartford Police Department are conducting a joint investigation into the fatal shooting.

Police said it is an active and fluid investigation.

Anyone who was traveled through the area and witnessed the shooting is asked to contact the Connecticut State Police Major Crime District Squad at (860)534-1000, or email Detective Piscitelli at Michael.Piscitelli@ct.gov.