SIMSBURY, Conn. (WTNH) - “A bear came and tore open a window on my chicken coop, and pulled one of the chickens out. Peeled the roof off of the chicken coop, took the door off and took another chicken out.”
“What needs to be done? I don’t know? I don’t have the answer to that, and I wouldn’t want to be the person making the decision.”
Thursday night, lawmakers were listening to the residents of Simsbury, trying to come up with solutions. Other states like Maine have a bear hunting season.
State Rep. John Hampton says his phone and email has blown up with people telling him not to hunt the bears, but they have reached saturation point in Farmington as they have more than 500 bear calls a year.
“We are having near misses at schools, at school bus stops with the children. We don’t want an accident to happen, we want to get ahead of this issue and hear from the DEEP.”
DEEP recommends hunting but it is unpopular. They can trap the bears, but Simsbury police officer Mark Rudewicz says they can’t relocate them outside of Connecticut.
“I realize we have a no translocation packed with other states, but whether it’s relocation, of some bears if that’s realistic?”
One resident suggested fining people who leave bird feeders and trash cans out. It is a step in the right direction, but not a solution to a difficult problem.
Man gets 5 years for child pornography
Report shows annual domestic violence...
- Kleenex to rebrand 'mansize' tissues after gender complaints
- Sheriff: Missing Wisconsin girl's parents were shot to death
- Trump's Russia attorney shifts to become White House counsel
- West Hartford firefighters help deliver newborn
- Search continues for suspect in Middletown shooting
- Body recovered from river in Windham
- Candidates stay on campaign script in latest debate
(WTNH) - A widespread FROST/FREEZE scenario to start Friday, but milder weather returns for Friday afternoon and Saturday with daytime highs near 60 and overnight lows 40's/50's. Another cold front brings the windy and chilly weather back for Sunday and Monday.Read More »
- Connecticut Red Cross volunteer in Florida describes heartbreaking scenes following hurricane
- Hurricane is blamed for 16 deaths in Florida alone
- Evacuations for 'disastrous' Llano, Colorado River flooding in Texas
- Early snow blankets much of Kansas
- Searches intensify after body is found in Michael's wake
- 'It was life or death': Face-to-face with Michael's fury
- How you can help survivors in the wake of Hurricane Michael
Police responded to a report of a person shot in the face. The suspect fled...Read More »
"It means giving people a chance."Read More »
The UConn football team travels to South Florida this weekend to face the 20th ranked Bulls.Read More »
Kleenex will re-brand its "Mansize" tissues after consumers complained the name was sexist — touching off a social media conversation about what's in a name.Read More »