Worker who got arm caught in machine at South Windsor pasta factory freed, taken to hospital with severe injuries


SOUTH WINDSOR, Conn. (WTNH)– A worker has been taken to the hospital with severe injuries after his arm got caught in a machine at a South Windsor pasta factory early Monday morning.

Police, fire crews and environmental officials were called to Carla’s Pasta at 50 Talbot Lane at around 3:30 a.m. after a worker there got his arm, up to the elbow, stuck on a rolling machine and it took authorities over 2.5 hours to free him.

Carla’s Pasta is a family-owned business and makes filled, frozen pastas in this so-called state of the art South Windsor facility. But early Monday morning things went horribly wrong when a man’s arm got stuck in a machine.

“It rotated around kind of a spin device inside the machine that’s used to make pasta. It took us about three hours to work to get him out,” said Timothy Papp, Deputy Fire Chief.

Mutual aid was requested from other local fire departments, including South Windsor’s Public Works Department and Environmental Services Inc. in order to assist in freeing the employee from the machine.

The whole time the man was alert and talking to authorities.

“He was actually speaking with us the whole time and he was actually very helpful a few times on us trying to remove him and get us unstuck. He was able to tell what was stuck, how his arm was stuck, and what we could possibly do to get him out of there,” said Papp.

The victim was extricated from the machine just after several hours of being trapped, and taken to Hartford Hospital via the Life Star helicopter with severe injuries. The helicopter waited hours. It was after 6 a.m. when it finally lifted off.

Fire officials were extremely careful about the removal process.They didn’t want to cause even more damage. And they exhausted all of their own cutting devices.

“It’s a food grade stainless steel. So, it’s very difficult to cut,” said Papp.

They needed more tools and police knew where to get them.

“Which is why it took so long. We called the S. Windsor Public Works Department and Environmental Services Inc., a local business in town to come and assist because they work with heavy machinery a lot. and had some tools that were able to assist the fire department,” said Sgt. Mark Cleverdon.

Once the man was removed, medics administered pain medication and Lifestar flew him to Hartford Hospital.

“He had significant injuries to his right arm, right forearm. Some facial injuries and some upper chest injuries,” said Cleverdon.

Meanwhile, that section of the warehouse has been closed while the Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigates.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


University of Hartford receives backlash after considering a downgrade to athletic program

News /

Community holds prayer vigil for 3-year-old killed in drive-by shooting in Hartford

News /

WEB EXTRA: SPANISH: Community mourning death of 3-year-old after Hartford drive-by shooting

DL365 /

Johnson and Johnson vaccine shortage could impact clinic across the state

News /

Federal relief helping state climb out of COVID slump

News /

Hartford police investigating deadly shooting on Magnolia Street

News /
More Hartford

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss