NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (WTNH) — A 25-year-old Central Connecticut State University student was taken into custody for a voyeurism charge after he was allegedly inside a female locker room on campus, according to police.

In January, two female students said that they saw Matthew Xavier Nieves peeking through a door to the female showers in Kaiser Hall, according to police documents.

The students had finished an athletic practice when they spotted him, made eye contact with Nieves, screamed, and then ran to their coach, according to police. Their coach followed Nieves and took pictures of him and his license plate.

When interviewed by police, Nieves allegedly said that he was working out in the building when he started wandering to look at paintings and sports memorabilia, according to an arrest warrant. He then got lost, realized he was on the women’s side of the building, and then opened and closed doors, trying to find a way out. When he realized he was in the showers, he said he closed the door and walked away.

Matthew Xavier Nieves
(Central Connecticut State University)

A sign near the door to the room reads “women’s physical education recreational locker room.”

“Due to the lockers and bathroom area, along with the door clearly labeled ‘Women’s’ leading to this area, it would be reasonable to believe that any lay person would understand that they are not only in a locker room, but the women’s locker room,” the arrest warrant reads.

According to the warrant, security footage shows Nieves walking directly into the locker room after coming down the main stairs. The video then shows Nieves using a stool to prop the door open. After opening the hallway door, he had to open a second door to get to the showers.

“It’s disgusting,” said Wallica Bailey, a sophomore. “It’s not something that you would think still happen going into different generations.”

News 8 reached out to the university for comment. A spokesperson said that “CCSU doesn’t comment on a pending investigation involving a named student.”

Students were shocked after hearing the news.

“I just thought it was kind of gross,” Devon Krupinski, a freshman, said. “Like, I just got a body chill. It’s just gross. Like, the fact that people are still doing that kind of thing is gross.”

Nieves is out of jail after facing a judge on Monday. His case was continued until April 27. He has not submitted a plea.