Tribe and state withdraw suit against Department of Interior

Hartford
east windsor casino_1548692572295.jpg.jpg

Connecticut and the Mashantucket Pequots have withdrawn a lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Interior, which recently approved an off-reservation casino in East Windsor.

They sued in 2017, alleging improper political influences were behind the lack of action on proposed amendments to agreements between Connecticut and the tribe. It’s the subject of a federal ethics investigation, one of several pending against former Secretary Ryan Zinke, who has denied any wrongdoing.

Related Content: State’s gambling future uncertain, despite federal action

The proposed changes were ultimately approved last week.

Attorney General William Tong’s spokeswoman said Tuesday the suit is no longer necessary. Mashantucket spokeswoman Lori Potter says the tribe hopes there can now be a new beginning in its relationship with the department.

The Pequots and Mohegans want to build the border casino to compete with MGM Resorts in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Hartford

Hartford Athletic notch huge win in Pittsburgh as fans attend unique watch party in CT

News /

Hartford Athletic notch huge win in Pittsburgh as fans attend unique watch party in CT

News /

The life of Dr. Franklin Chang-Diaz, NASA’s first Hispanic American astronaut

News /

34-year-old man dies after falling from communication tower in Manchester

News /

Gov. Lamont calls state legislature into special session beginning Tuesday

News /

Hartford police investigate body found in CT River

News /
More Hartford

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss