ROCKY HILL, Conn. (WTNH) - Three track and field coaches at Rocky Hill High School are at the center of a police investigation.
One of the coaches has since resigned and the other two coaches, both teachers at the high school, have been placed on paid administrative leave, according to Dr. Mark Zito, Superintendent of Schools.
Dr. Zito said the two teachers were placed on leave "with pay and without prejudice," on May 30 pending the results of an investigation. Dr. Zito also stated that a former track and field coach, who is not employed as a teacher in Rocky Hill or in any other school district, resigned on May 29.
The details of the investigation and extent of the allegations are not known at this time. Many want answers including the students who say they watched their teachers get pulled out of class and not come back.
"My teacher was asked to come out into the hallway in the middle of geometry," one student told News 8. "The next day a teacher told us she was going away for a while and wouldn't be back for the rest of the school year."
"It's kind of shocking because you never expect it from our school - we have such small school," Ricky Alvarado said. "You never hear anything on the news about our school."
Alvarado said one of the teachers on leave is his teacher.
"He won't be there to finish teaching," ALvarado continued.
Michael John said that same teacher was also his youth soccer coach.
"He was a nice guy, a really nice guy," John said. "He taught me a lot and was a good soccer coach. A very respected as a track coach. It was kind of sad to be honest - we knew him for a very long time."
Students are in the midst of finals and graduation season. For some, not having answers makes them feel unsettled.
"A lot of students were very disturbed and weren't really focused on finals," another student shared.
In a statement, Dr. Zito said, in part, "The safety of our students is our first priority, and we are cooperating fully with the investigation of this matter."
News 8 will update this story with more information as it becomes available.
2018 Connecticut Fall Fairs & Festivals
Road closure: Suffield police advise...
- Man dies after accident at work site in Guilford
- House approves amendments to help residents with crumbing foundations
- 4-year-old dies, 2-year-old brother still at hospital after being left in a hot car
- Review of state facility ordered after teen commits suicide
- LEAP looks to help kids make life-changing choices while learning crucial skills
- 911 call dialed in Portugal gets sent to Maine
- Starbucks to open sign language store
News 8 was crisscrossing the state since the storms began early Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Storms cause travel nightmare for thousands across the East Coast
- Tuesday thunderstorms cause damage, knock out power around Connecticut
- Report-It Photo Gallery: July 17, 2018 Thunderstorms
- Tuesday storm knocks out power for hundreds across Connecticut
- Wet weather to linger until around midnight, sunshine returns Wednesday
- Showers, downpours possible Sunday evening
- How to escape a rip current
A 4-year-old boy has died at Yale-New Haven Hospital after firefighters say...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The head of Connecticut's Department of Children and Families is ordering an...Read More »
Did you know that the largest employer of young people in New Haven is LEAP?Read More »
A New Haven man is under arrest after being accused of shooting someone in...Read More »
A 33-year-old Connecticut man has been sentenced to eight years in federal prison for a robbery spree that hit 10 banks and stores in three states in a little over a month in 2017.Read More »
A 4-year-old boy has died at Yale-New Haven Hospital after firefighters say he was left in a hot car in West Haven. The boy's 2-year-old brother is still at Yale, but police say his condition is unknown at this time.Read More »
A New Haven man is under arrest after being accused of shooting someone in Hamden while on his motorcycle.Read More »