NEW MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH) – A 17-year-old New Milford High School student was killed and multiple people were injured in a three-car crash on Friday afternoon.

According to police, the crash happened outside of Italia Mia Restaurant and Pizza on Danbury Road (Route 7) in New Milford at around 2:25 p.m.

Police said a 2006 Infiniti G35 was traveling north on Route 7 in the right lane when it collided with a 2002 Hyundai Tucson that was trying to make a left turn into the restaurant from the left southbound lane.

The collision then caused the Infiniti to crash into a 2013 Nissan Rogue, police said.

The passenger of the Infiniti, who was identified as 17-year-old Julio Gomez, was transported to the Danbury Hospital Emergency Department and was pronounced dead.

Following the crash, New Milford Mayor Pete Bass identified Gomez as a New Milford High School student.

Officials said the driver of the Infiniti, who was also identified as a 17-year-old male, was transported to the Danbury Hospital Emergency Department for treatment and remains in critical condition. Police said he is also a New Milford High School student.

The driver and passenger of the Rogue, identified as a 48-year-old and a 29-year-old, were also transported to the hospital.

Police said the driver of the Rogue is in stable condition while the passenger was in critical condition, but police do not have an updated condition since they have been transported to another hospital.

Officials said the driver of the Tucson declined medical attention.

Police said the road was closed for about eight hours Friday while the New Milford Police Department Crash Reconstruction team responded to the crash.

New Milford High School Principal Ray Manka said counseling services will be available through next week at New Milford High School for all students and staff.

The New Milford High School hosted a vigil Monday night. Hundreds were in attendance to remember the life of Julio Gomez.

Student said Gomez valued friendship and family and was well-liked at the school.

“Like if you heard him in the hallways, he would be laughing, he had a really bright soul, so a lot of my friends are really upset over it,” said student Melanie Mendoza.

The town hall meeting will be postponed until Oct. 2 to support both the students and staff during this time.

As of Monday night, three people remain hospitalized and two are in critical condition.

Police ask anyone with additional information to contact Det. Nicholas Smith at (860)-355-3133 or

This is a developing story. Stay with News 8 for updates.