PLYMOUTH, Conn. (WTNH) – A man has died during a structure fire involving a camper in Plymouth Saturday morning, according to police.
At 11:03 a.m., the Plymouth Police Department and Terryville Fire Department responded to reports of a structure fire at 110 Minor Rd.
“I hear a big bang, and I thought it might have been the Harwinton Gun Club, but I’m not too sure,” said Earl, a resident who declined to give his last name. “Then all of a sudden [I heard] ‘pop, pop, pop, pop, pop,’ and then the fire trucks rolled up the hill.”
Earl says he lives nearby, heard the explosions, and ran to the scene. He says the house was in flames, and the camper in the nearby driveway was smoldering.
“When I pulled up here, I was like, ‘huh!” Earl said. “And then the house? I’m like, ‘How’d that happen?”
That’s one of many unanswered questions, including where the fire started, whether there were more people on the property and the identity of the man who died.
“He was a very nice guy,” said Lawrence Minor, who lives across the road. “I had only seen him a couple of times when we were working outside. I’m outside, or he’s outside. But I haven’t interacted much with him.”
Minor says the house belonged to his family dating back to the 1700s and was sold to his neighbor last year.
He says the house can be rebuilt, but the priority right now is to support his neighbor’s family.
“It’s a beautiful house with beautiful beams and wood floors,” Minor said. “It’s just losing life is the biggest tragedy, really.”
The scene was immediately secured upon the arrival of authorities, and the fire was extinguished.
The one victim was found dead at the scene. The roads were closed for a few hours. They have since reopened.
There is no current threat or danger to the public. This incident is still under investigation.