CROMWELL, Conn. (WTNH)-- A Middletown man is dead after a serious crash on I-91 in Cromwell that closed the highway Thursday morning.
Connecticut State Police say that two cars were driving in the left center and right lanes of I-91 south in Cromwell near Exit 23 when one of the cars, being driven by 25-year-old Jemel Williams of Middletown, lost control and hit the other. Williams' car continued off the roadway, into the left shoulder, into the grass and wooded median, before striking a tree.
Williams was pronounced dead on the scene. There was one passenger in his car, 29-year-old Brandon Stewart of Hartford, who was taken via LifeStar to Hartford Hospital. Stewart is currently listed in critical condition.
(30316021) Motor Vehicle Accident - CROMWELL I91N 0.75 miles before Exit 23 (WEST ST) at 3/3/2016 10:00:37 AM #cttraffic
- Statewide CTDOT (@CTDOT_Statewide) March 3, 2016
The driver and sole occupant of the other car, 24-year-old Paola Mejia of Meriden was not injured in the crash.
State police say this case is still under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call police at (860)534-1000.
Review of state facility ordered...
2018 Connecticut Fall Fairs & Festivals
- Congress considers changing supervision of nuclear weapons
- Papa John's attempts to ward off founder with poison pill
- Woman impaled in chest by umbrella on Maryland beach
- Uber, Lyft suspend driver who recorded St. Louis passengers
- 4 employees buy Pike Place Market in Seattle
- Longest total lunar eclipse of 21st century coming Friday
- 1 dead after shooting at Mormon church in Nevada
News 8 was crisscrossing the state since the storms began early Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Storms cause travel nightmare for thousands across the East Coast
- Tuesday thunderstorms cause damage, knock out power around Connecticut
- Report-It Photo Gallery: July 17, 2018 Thunderstorms
- Tuesday storm knocks out power for hundreds across Connecticut
- Off and on rain, thundershowers expected Sunday night
- Showers, downpours possible Sunday evening
- How to escape a rip current
Two of Connecticut's smallest cities are looking into combining their school...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
President Donald Trump warned Iranian President Hassan Rouhani early Monday that he will face dire consequences for threatening the United States.Read More »