MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (WTNH) — The Connecticut Office of the Inspector General released body camera footage Tuesday of an officer-involved shooting in Middletown.

Detective Karli Travis responded to the 100 block of Liberty Street around 6:30 a.m. Saturday for the report of a man yelling and smashing glass, police said.

The suspect, 52-year-old Winston Tate, allegedly charged at Travis with a hammer, and a “violent struggle ensued.”

“Detective Travis fired multiple rounds towards Tate as she was being attacked and knocked to the ground,” Middletown police Chief Erik Costa said. “While fighting for her life on the ground, Tate continued to strike her with a hammer, as seen in the video.”

During the attack, authorities said Travis fired her weapon numerous times, wounding Tate. Her body-worn camera fell from her uniform onto the ground.

WARNING: Some viewers may find the body camera video disturbing. Discretion is advised.

After he was wounded, police said Tate retreated into his home on Liberty Street, where he was taken into custody.

Travis, who has been with the department since 2016, was treated for injuries and released from the hospital. Middletown police said she is resting comfortably at home.

“There’s no question that Detective Travis displayed an extreme act of heroism that saved her own life, other Middletown police officers, and the citizens of this city,” Costa said.

Tate was treated for gunshot wounds at the hospital and was released late Monday night. He was charged with first-degree criminal attempt to commit assault, second-degree assault, assault on public safety personnel, and interfering with police.

“When they call me out, I was getting really nervous when they call me out,” Tate said as he faced a judge Tuesday.

About 30 members of the Middletown Police Department attended Tate’s court appearance as the judge considered the seriousness of the attack and his lengthy criminal history.

“Winston Tate is known to this agency,” Costa said. “He is a convicted felon that dates back to 1995. In the past five years, he’s been charged with the crimes of assault on public safety and healthcare workers, breach of peace, interfering, disorderly conduct, carrying a dangerous weapon, and unlawful restraint. He was currently on probation for robbery.”

Ultimately, the judge set Tate’s bond at $850,000. He is due back in court on Oct. 3.

The Connecticut Office of the Inspector General is investigating with the Connecticut State Police, Eastern District Major Crime Squad, and the Middlesex County State’s Attorney.