"We're down 100 officers and by January, we could be down 30 more," Mayor Harp said.
New Haven is budgeted for 500 officers on the force, but the city only has about 400 right now. The department's overtime bill is also rising.
Mayor Harp says the city spends about $65,000 to train a single officer, but the reality is many leave after a few years to work in the suburbs. After 20-25 years, they often retire. Officers who retire young often re-enter the force, but in New Haven they can't do that without starting from square one, going through the academy and months of training. The Mayor is proposing to change the policy and create new jobs.
"These are seasoned police officers and we'd like to have a lateral police officer job description," Mayor Harp added. "So if you are retiring from another place in or outside of Connecticut, you can come in, take a test and be eligible to serve on the police force."
Retired officers potentially working in New Haven would create a buffer for the short-staffed department and would reduce the overtime bill in the city.
Some neighbors say they're completely on board with the city's proposal to bring the number of officers serving the city back to where it needs to be.
"I'm all for bringing back people from retirement to fill the gap to where needed," Scott Bell told News 8.
"If they're down 100 officers and they really need officers, then they should bring back retired officers," Tyrell Gore added.
- The final tally is in for the GR8 Toy Drive!
- CBS denies former CEO Les Moonves $120 million severance
- With final jabs at FBI, Michael Flynn heads to sentencing
- Interstate 91 Southbound in Wallingford back open following car fire Tuesday morning
- Utah principal decked the halls with his 'Elf on a shelf' impression
- Farout: Scientists spot solar system's farthest known object
- Big boost for affordable housing in New Haven
Dress for a windy and colder day today! The wind chill will be near 20° for much of the day! Quiet with rising temperatures through Thursday. It still looks like mild and rainy weather will be here Friday through early Saturday. Have a good day!Read More »
- Gusty, cold Monday night, some flurries possible
- Sunday rain to turn to wintry mix overnight
- Quiet Friday, rain on the way for Saturday
- Snow showers possible Thursday
- More clouds later as cold Tuesday continues
- American Meteorological Society Report: Climate change causing extreme weather
- Bright and chilly Monday, rain possible later this week
A car fire caused heavy delays on Interstate 91 Southbound Tuesday in...Read More »
This Report-It video shot by Vanessa shows large flames coming from a car on the right shoulder of I-91 Tuesday morning.Read More »