Just after 1:10 p.m., officers responded to a call reporting an explosion at the former DC Moore School on Elliot Street. Police did not specify if the explosion took place in the school building, or on the grounds.
Officers say a 29-year-old man suffered a serious injury to one hand, as well as injury to his other hand and his abdomen as a result of the explosion.
"I was home in my office and I heard some type of explosion. It seemed odd because it's quiet around here," explained Janice Langan of East Haven.
"I heard this huge noise and I was like, 'I don't know, maybe someone is messing around with fireworks?' I didn't think anything of it," added Olivia Dymarcik of East Haven.
The man, who was not identified, was transported to the hospital for treatment. Police say no one else is at risk from this incident.
Officers believe that the explosion was caused by some type of firework, although this has not yet been confirmed.
The incident remains under investigation.
Web Extra: Listen to the 911 calls following the incident
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- AP sources: Rosenstein spoke of possible secret Trump taping
- PayPal is the latest platform to ditch Alex Jones, Infowars
- Watertown Police Search for Robbery Suspect
- Federal funds to expand "Recovery Coach" program
- 3 infants, 2 adults stabbed at suspected birthing center: Officials
- Japan space rovers lowered to asteroid to collect data
- Friday Marks 80 Years Since the Hurricane of 1938
After unprecedented damage in the southeast from Hurricane Florence, News 8 has teamed up with the American Red Cross and Shop Rite of East Haven to help raise funds for disaster relief.Read More »
- Trump to visit Carolinas on Wednesday
- Cooper: Florence a 'monumental disaster' for NC
- Showers moving out of state during Tuesday evening commute
- SAD UPDATE: Body recovered of 1-year-old baby that was swept away in NC floodwaters
- Death toll rises to 11 as Florence pours on the rain
- Florence pours on the rain in the Carolinas; death toll at 5
- Bright start then cloudy finish to Monday before rain from Florence arrives
Three babies were among five people stabbed at a suspected birthing center in...Read More »
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein discussed secretly recording President Donald Trump last year amid law enforcement concerns about chaos in the White House, according to people familiar with exchanges at the time. One person who was present saiRead More »
Minutes before a 10 p.m. deadline set by Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, an attorney for Christine Blasey Ford asked for another day to decide.Read More »