NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH)– A 17-month-old girl who had been in critical condition after ingesting adult medication at a New Haven home on Saturday afternoon was pronounced deceased Tuesday, according to New Haven police.
Police say that at around 12:40 p.m. Saturday, officers and rescue crews responded to a 911 call for an unresponsive child at a home on Norton Street. Upon arrival, officers learned that the child had likely ingested adult medication.
The child was then taken to Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital where she was in extremely critical condition in pediatric intensive care before passing away Tuesday.
SVU detectives responded to the hospital and to the child’s home. The state Department of Children and Families (DCF) was notified and a DCF investigator and NHPD Bureau of Identification forensic detectives also responded to the home.
The investigation into the child’s overdose death remains active at this time. Anyone with information is asked to contact detectives at (203) 946-6304.