2 rescued from Hamden apartment building fire

New Haven

HAMDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Firefighters rescued two people from an apartment building fire in Hamden Thursday morning.

Crews responded to the apartment building on Mix Avenue just before 9 a.m. Firefighters rescued a 44-year-old woman who was sitting on a second-floor window sill with heavy smoke coming from the window and a 51-year-old man from an interior stairwell.

Deputy Fire Marshal Nelson Hwang said the woman had turned on the stove to cook breakfast then fell asleep and woke up to the smell of smoke. Smoke detectors were activated, and fire officials said the residents had safely exited the building before returning to gather personal belongings.

The woman was taken to the Connecticut Burn Center at Bridgeport Hospital for burns, and the man was treated for smoke inhalation at Yale New Haven Hospital.

The Hamden Fire Department reminds residents to never leave cooking unattended, immediately evacuate a fire condition in the home, and never reenter a building to retrieve personal belongings.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

Coat distribution for kids

News /

Police investigate attempted break-in at Quinnipiac student’s off-campus house

News /

New Haven volunteers come out in force to help those in need on Thanksgiving

News /

Bars in New Haven packed with celebrations on Thanksgiving Eve

News /

FOOD IN NEW HAVEN CT STYLE

CT STYLE /

Outdoor igloos are back at restaurants across the state as a way to continue to dine safely during the winter months

News /
More New Haven

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss