NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) – A joint settlement of $45 million has been reached in the civil case of Richard Cox V the City of New Haven, according to New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker.

Richard “Randy” Cox was paralyzed while he was being transported in the back of a New Haven police transport van last June. Five officers were charged after failing to intervene when it became apparent he was injured.

The five officers pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor second-degree reckless endangerment and cruelty to person(s). Two of those officers were terminated by the New Haven Police Commission on Wednesday.

All parties in the civil case participated in a settlement conference on Friday at U.S. District Court in New Haven with Magistrate Judge Maria Garcia.

With Garcia’s assistance, all parties agreed upon a settlement of $45 million to resolve all of the claims against the Elm City, officials said. Of the $45 million, the New Haven city insurance covers $30 million of the total settlement. The city of New Haven will pay the rest of the settlement amount.

Elicker released a statement, saying in part:

“What happened to Randy Cox was unacceptable. When an individual enters police custody, there is an obligation to treat them with dignity and respect and in a manner that ensures their safety and well-being. That did not happen with Randy: he entered policy custody being able to walk, and he left police custody paralyzed with his life and his health forever altered… While nothing can ever return Randy’s life to the way it was prior to this incident, we trust that this settlement will allow him to receive the support and medical care he needs to move forward. The City of New Haven will continue to do everything we can to assist him in his journey. I want to thank Randy and his family for their patience as we worked through this process. We remain resolved as a city to collectively work to ensure an incident like this never happens again.”

In his statement, Elicker described the steps the city of New Haven has taken to ensure another tragic incident does not occur in the city again.

The mayor said the New Haven Police Department has since instituted a comprehensive set of reforms, updated their policies on the transportation of those in custody and required department-wide training on the duty to intervene.

Elicker said the actions of a few officers do not represent the values of the New Haven Police Department or the high standards the city holds for them. Elicker said the officers are being held accountable for their alleged actions in court.

Attorneys Ben Crump, Louis Rubano and R.J. Weber, who represented Cox, said the settlement amount is the largest in a police misconduct case in the nation’s history.

Their complete statement can be read below:

“This historic settlement reflects the commitment of New Haven leadership to fully value RandyCox’s life and support him through the difficult journey ahead. The city’s mistakes have been well documented. But today is a moment to look to the future, so New Haven residents can have confidence in their city and their police department. As the largest settlement in a police misconduct case in our nation’s history, this settlement sends a message to the country that we know we must be better than this. The action by the New Haven Board of Police Commissioners to terminate the two officers involved in the arrest that resulted in Randy Cox’s paralysis reflected a commitment to accountability and justice. This settlement makes a strong statement that police departments and their municipalities will be accountable for ensuring that police officers honor the lives of those they are sworn to serve and protect.”