HAMDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — This Christmas, a dog from Hamden survived a scary poisoning that could have been fatal.

On Dec. 21, the Rossetti family’s cat S’mores got out of the house and it took 45 minutes to retrieve him. After finding S’mores, they came back inside to a horrible scene: their 80-lb. purebred yellow Labrador on her side, frothing from the mouth.

The Rossettis quickly jumped into action once they realized their dog, Daisy, had eaten an almost-full container of Mentos chewing gum. The gum, which was in a bag on the counter, contained the chemical Xylitol; one piece could kill a small dog, and Daisy had just eaten over 40 pieces.

Angelo Rossetti hadn’t realized Daisy could reach the counter. He noted that her heart was slow and then fast like it was racing.

Xylitol, the main ingredient in many sugar-free gums, is a naturally-occurring substance used as a sugar substitute. While it tastes sweet to humans, it makes dogs’ bodies overproduce insulin, causing them to go into hypoglycemic shock.

The Rossettis rushed to the Central Hospital for Veterinary Medicine in North Haven, and while Daisy was still conscious, the family said she was barely breathing.

Luckily, doctors were able to save Daisy’s life by emptying her stomach. She stayed in the hospital for three days, her longest time away from home, so doctors could stabilize her sugar and test her kidneys.

The Rossettis received the best present they could ask for: Daisy’s home for Christmas.

See the video of the Rosetti family reuniting with Daisy below:

While Daisy will have to stay on medication over the next month, doctors said she should be okay.

The Rosetti’s want to warn others about the dangers of Xylitol.

“Hopefully if pet owners and dog lovers find out more about it, they would not buy the gum, or at least keep it somewhere where the dog can’t get at it,” Angelo said.