NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) – New Haven fire officials say a toy hoverboard appears to be the cause of a Christmas Day apartment fire that displaced four people and sent one to the hospital.
Battalion Chief Ben Vargas tells the New Haven Register (http://bit.ly/2i7n7HO) the blaze Sunday night was limited to one room of the second-floor unit in the Farnham Court apartments and was quickly extinguished.Related Content: Annual ‘Trouble in Toyland’ report released Tuesday
All four apartment occupants were adults. One was taken to the hospital after complaining of difficulty breathing, possibly from smoke inhalation.
Vargas says it remains under investigation but it appears the hoverboard was to blame.Related Content: CPSC Recalling More Than 500,000 Hoverboards Because of Fire Hazards
Hundreds of thousands of the two-wheeled toys made by multiple manufacturers were recalled earlier this year following multiple reports of burns or fires caused by overheating battery packs.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.