The fire that broke out Sunday at 150 West Street killed two people and left 14 people without a place to live.
Jennafer Twarowski said, “Just very melancholy. People are just really sad.”
The city released the last several years of the Livable City Initiative records on this property.
Laurence Grotheer, the city spokesman, said, “City records show the city’s repeated efforts and the city’s repeated frustration because the previous owner would make appointments and not keep them.”
The property changed hands in March of 2019.
Related Content: Vigil held for New Haven father who died in house fire
There was a discrepancy with the listing.
Back in 1991, the city inspected the property and found it had five bedrooms and two bathrooms.
But Grotheer said, “Earlier this year, the property was listed for sale. It was listed with seven bedrooms and three bathrooms.”
If changes were made to the home, the city didn’t know about it. There were no permits pulled for any renovations that might have been made. It’s still unclear how many people were actually living in the two-family unit. There are no records indicating there were complaints of living conditions. The last complaint was in January of 2018 of no heat.
Grotheer added, “LCI responded to that complaint and addressed the no heat complaint and restored heat.”
The city said it is working to streamline its procedures to try and prevent a tragedy like this from happening again.
Grotheer told News 8, “Across a dozen city departments, there is sadness and there is disappointment and frustration that the use of this property resulted in a fire and the loss of two lives.”
Twarowski said the city needs to do more.
“Get in there and shut these housing facilities down that say that they rent rooms,” she added.
Free download: Access Connecticut breaking news, weather, stream live newscasts and more on-the-go with News 8 alerts directly to your phone