HAMDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Ten people are without a home after a two-alarm fire tore through an apartment complex in Hamden Wednesday afternoon.

Hamden firefighters were called to the five-family apartment complex on Savoy Street between Dixwell Avenue and Merrimac Street at 12:10 p.m.

The first crew to arrive saw heavy fire coming from the windows and front door of one of the units. The fire was escalated to a two-alarm fire with the North Haven Fire Department assisting.

Fire officials said the fire spread rapidly due to wind conditions and an open front door. It was contained to the one unit and the attic space above.

Hamden Fire Marshal Brian Dolan determined the fire started in a toaster oven. The fire spread to a table cloth and soon engulfed the dining room and kitchen, spreading to the upstairs bedrooms and attic.

The other units in the building suffered varying degrees of smoke and water damage, according to fire officials.

The building was declared uninhabitable. Hamden Community Services and the American Red Cross provided accommodations and assistance to the displaced residents.

Hamden Fire Chief Gary Merwede told News 8 no injuries were reported.