MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Fire crews battled a six-alarm fire at a building on Pratt Street in Meriden Friday night into Saturday morning, according to officials.

Fire Chief Ken Morgan said the fire started at an abandoned brick building at 168 Pratt Street. Upon arrival, fire crews observed heavy smoke throughout the building. The fire then spread to the second and third floors of the building.

One victim was rescued from the fire and transported to the hospital, officials said. Officials said they do not believe the victim was seriously injured.

The fire extended to a plating shop behind the building. The shop uses chemical acids to clean parts including chromium and acid, according to fire crews. Fire officials said they are doing their best to keep hazardous materials from escaping the confined area.

The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) responded to the scene to evaluate the situation.

Crews from several towns were called to assist the Meriden Fire Department with the blaze. Meriden Fire Chief Kenneth Morgan said he estimates over 100 firefighters are assisting with the fire.

Fire officials said the roof gave in and they would not be able to extinguish the blaze overnight.

The Meriden Fire Marshal is at the scene investigating. Chief Ken Morgan held a press conference with Mayor Kevin Scarpati Saturday Morning where they thanked all of the contributing fire departments and addressed the damage.

Firefighters fought small fires on the scene well into Saturday.

Firefighters remained on scene on Saturday morning to extinguish the flames.

There is no news on the health status of the individual rescued from the adjoining building.

This is a developing situation. Stay with News 8 for updates.