SEYMOUR, Conn (WTNH) – Two firefighters suffered minor injuries battling a three-alarm fire in downtown Seymour Wednesday afternoon.
The fire destroyed four businesses on Bank Street near Main Street. The fire chief said it started at an antique shop around 2 p.m. and quickly spread to another antique shop, a barbershop and a massage parlor.
According to the fire marshal, preliminary findings indicate that the fire initially broke out after a store employee accidentally ignited wax while polishing some merchandise.
News 8 spoke to the owner of the barbershop who said he took a fire extinguisher into the antique store next door, but by the time he was there, the fire was too big to control.
Approximately 150 firefighters battled the fire over a five hour period. According to fire officials, a decision was made to go for a defensive attack, or surround and drown. Ansonia, Derby, Oxford, Beacon Falls, and Bethany Fire Departments assisted.
The building was a total loss.
Thirteen tenants in nearby apartments were displaced for the night, but officials said the fire could have been worse.
On Friday, Seymour Fire Marshal Tim Willis said there may be asbestos in the building that burned.
“Environmental studies are being done. We brought in an outside company to wash all our gear,” Willis said.
“It could’ve been catastrophic, absolutely,” Seymour First Selectwoman Annmarie Drugonis said. “But thankfully our fire department got here, they got the fire out, they got the fire under control. Our fire departments are volunteer. We have four great fire chiefs, our fire marshals, they’re on top, they’re training all the time, and I know in my heart that they are doing the best they could. Our firefighters give all every single day.”
One person who was inside the building was treated on scene for minor injuries.
The fire is under investigation by Seymour police, the fire marshal, and the Connecticut State Police Fire and Explosion Unit.