Exclusive: Hamden cemetery accused of giving away pre-purchased plots

New Haven

More trouble at Hamden Plains Cemetery where News 8 first exposed two weeks ago, gravediggers lost the body of George Johnson.

New Haven Grandma, Audrey Richards is now facing new problems with the cemetery.

Only News 8 learned Audrey Richards’ Hamden Plains certificate of ownership for the burial plot she purchased 22-years ago is now useless.

“I wanted to be next to my daughter,” Richards said.

She paid $390 to rest eternally beside her already departed husband and daughter.

Related: Family devastated after Hamden cemetery loses man’s body

Richards found out “this past Monday that the grave had been taken,” by the corpse of a stranger.

The current managers of Hamden Plains U.S. Cemetery weren’t in charge when Richards first bought her plot.

A spokesman for the company could not be reached Friday.

Richards says she was prompted to check on her grave after seeing News 8’s story about Johnson’s body, which happens to still be missing.

Richards points out gravediggers have been trying to help put the saga to rest, but it’s unclear what can be done to ease her devastation. 

==

Free download: Access Connecticut breaking news, weather, stream newscasts live and more on-the-go with News 8 alerts directly to your phone.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss