NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — The family and legal team of a suspect who was seriously injured in New Haven police custody nearly three weeks ago met with the Department of Justice Friday afternoon. His family and supporters from across the state later marched to the New Haven Police Department demanding accountability and justice on Friday evening.

Prominent civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who announced last week that he is representing Richard “Randy” Cox, called for a federal civil rights investigation and for charges to be filed against the five officers involved in the June 19 incident. Cox’s family and legal also said they plan to sue the City of New Haven.

Cox, 36, is paralyzed from the chest down and has trouble talking, his lawyers and city officials said.

“The entire family of Randy Cox is demanding that civil rights charges be brought against these officers who they know caused their son, their brother to be laying in the hospital.. unable to talk, unable to walk, unable to feed himself, unable to use the bathroom himself,” Crump said at a Friday news conference. “They know what these officers did, and we want to know if the New Haven Police Department and city leadership is going to give them justice.”

VIDEO: Ben Crump, family of Richard Cox deliver remarks ahead of DOJ meeting, ‘March for Justice’

Mayor Justin Elicker and New Haven police chief Karl Jacobson outlined new department policies and training on Thursday.

The new reforms include eliminating the use of police vans for most suspect transports and using marked police vehicles instead, requiring officers to immediately call for an ambulance to respond to their location if the suspect requests or appears to need medical aid, a review of detention center policies, random checks of detention area personnel’s body cameras, and department-wide training on active bystandership and de-escalation.

City officials said several measures have already been implemented in response to what happened to Cox, including requiring officers to ensure suspects are wearing seat belts.

“We’re all for the new policies, but why do you need a policy that says when someone needs help, you give them help? That should never have to be a policy,” Cox’s sister LaToya Boomer said. “That should be in your own brain already. Him saying, ‘help… I think my neck is broken… I can’t move,’ that should be it. That should be the end of the discussion. That’s where the medical professional should be called, and it should be left at that. It shouldn’t have gone on and on and on, keep saying it, keep saying it… begging for help and no help… people just saying he’s drunk.”

Richard “Randy” Cox. Photo provided by Cox family.

Cox was arrested on a weapons charge in New Haven on June 19. While handcuffed in the back of the van, which had no seat belts, he flew headfirst into the wall between the cab and back of the van when Officer Oscar Diaz braked hard to avoid a crash, police said.

Diaz continued driving to the police department, despite Cox calling for help and saying he was injured and couldn’t move, according to police videos and officials.

At the station, officers dragged Cox out of the van by his feet and put him in a wheelchair, police video shows. Police then booked Cox, took him out of the wheelchair, and dragged him into a cell, where he was left on the floor. The videos also show officers telling Cox to move despite him showing signs of paralysis. Paramedics arrived minutes later and took Cox to a hospital, officials said.

Diaz and four other members of the New Haven Police Department involved in the transport and detention of Cox are on paid administrative leave, pending a state police investigation.

Below is a map of the route:

“Cox’s family, legal team, NAACP chapters, and other supporters held a March for Justice on Friday. The group marched from Stetson Library on Dixwell Avenue to the New Haven Police Department.

On the steps of police headquarters, demonstrators made their plea.

“I’m not a fool, I don’t expect any change to come. The only change that’s going to come is if we make the change,” said Attorney Mike Jefferson with NAACP.

The family says Cox watched the rally from the hospital, with tears streaming down his face.

The movement has reached to other parts of the Connecticut. Some traveled from Waterbury to support the Cox family.

“I don’t know Randy Cox but we all know a Randy Cox. between police brutality and the things that have gone on, crimes between black and brown people, you gotta stand up,” said Ginne-Rae Clay, Greater Waterbury NAACP President.

The New Haven Police Chief and mayor were in the crowds, listening. Chief Karl Jacobson said he was moved by their call for justice.

“I have a commitment to the Cox family and Randy, and just as important, the entire community, to make this right, get our officers back out working and protecting this community,” he said.