LIVE NOW /
Watch Good Morning Connecticut

Fire officials urge public to properly dispose of fireplace ashes after house fire in Hamden

New Haven

HAMDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — As temperatures drop, fire officials have a warning to the public about properly disposing fireplace ashes after they responded to a house fire in Hamden Wednesday afternoon.

Officials say ashes left in a plastic pail on a porch started a house fire that spread to the home’s kitchen. The flames broke out Wednesday afternoon on First Street.

Five people now have to find alternative housing tonight.

Officials say that ashes should always be put in a metal bin and should be kept away from anything that can catch fire.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

Up to 12 residents possibly displaced following structure fire in New Haven

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "Up to 12 residents possibly displaced following structure fire in New Haven"

New Haven camp sessions begin today amid COVID-19 pandemic

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "New Haven camp sessions begin today amid COVID-19 pandemic"

Pedestrian fatally struck in New Haven Sunday

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "Pedestrian fatally struck in New Haven Sunday"

DiBella's Subs says employee was asked to leave for wearing a Black Lives Matter mask because it wasn't company-issued PPE

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "DiBella's Subs says employee was asked to leave for wearing a Black Lives Matter mask because it wasn't company-issued PPE"

Drive-by shooting leaves one man with multiple injuries in Meriden, nearby shooting inures 15-year-old girl

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "Drive-by shooting leaves one man with multiple injuries in Meriden, nearby shooting inures 15-year-old girl"
More New Haven

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss