New Haven police say that Devin Eaton, one of their former officers, is the Hamden officer who fired at the unarmed couple on Dixwell Avenue.
Ofc. Eaton has been a law enforcement officer for more than four years.
He has been placed on administrative leave.
The Yale police officer involved has been identified as Terrance Pollock. In a statement, Yale stated the Yale officer was placed on leave, per standard protocol for any instance of a Yale officer discharging a weapon.
Local leaders talked about the officer-involved shooting in New Haven that left a woman in the hospital.
Protesters stormed the Hamden Police Station. Dozens were out in the middle of Dixwell Avenue, blocking traffic at times.
They also went inside - filling the lobby of the police station and demanding to speak to top brass about the shooting of an unarmed black woman. She and her boyfriend were in a car that police said was involved in an armed robbery of a newspaper delivery person at a gas station in Hamden around 4 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Hamden police and a Yale police officer caught up with their car at an intersection in New Haven and opened fire on that car. It was all caught on surveillance video.
Surveillance video shows the moment a Hamden Police Officer opens fire on a car in New Haven. pic.twitter.com/h7IrwPbcgo— Kent Pierce (@kentpierce8) April 16, 2019
Passenger Stephanie Washington was shot in the face, but is expected to be okay.
Back at the Hamden Police Department on Tuesday, some officers did come out and speak with the protestors, even shaking hands with them.
There are still plenty of questions about exactly why a Hamden Officer and a Yale police officer fired on that car when no one inside had a weapon.
The Mayors of Hamden and New Haven, along with the Police Chiefs of the Hamden, New Haven and Yale Police Departments held a conference call on Wednesday talking about what happened and how to keep something like this from happening again.
WEB EXTRA: New Haven, Hamden mayors and police chiefs give update on officer-involved shooting
WEB EXTRA: News 8's Kent Pierce answers your questions and has the latest on what witnesses saw on scene
- Bill making it easier for moms to pump breast milk advances
- New law in Washington state could keep kids in booster seats much longer
- Connecticut State Police send out tips for parents on social media safety for kids
- The faces behind the lawsuit against Purdue Pharma
- Punching Easter bunny who broke up fight has rap sheet
- Listen to 911 calls from officer-involved shooting in New Haven
- What adults should know about measles and booster shots
- Hurricane Michael upgraded to Category 5
- NOAA: March 2019 was second-hottest on record
- Rain and melting snow contributes to Connecticut River flooding
- Connecticut receives total of $1 million in federal aid from 2018 storms, tornadoes
- New Haven's cherry blossoms will be at full peak by the end of April
- 6 states under blizzard warnings as residents prepare for April snow storm
- Start working now on getting a green lawn this year
Kids are on their phones and tablets at all hours of the day and night, and...Read More »
Their stories are similar.Read More »
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News 8 has obtained several 911 calls and pieces of audio from an...Read More »
Remember the video from Ridgefield where someone set the baseball field on...Read More »
A fatal officer-involved shooting in Wethersfield will be investigated by the...Read More »
The response from people in Connecticut has been overwhelming.Read More »
Once again, the high school Spring sports schedule has been turned upside down thanks to the weather. However, Tuesday was the perfect day for baseball.Read More »