Hundreds were inside as flames sparked at the JCC.
“It was sudden and we thought it was a fire drill, but everybody was quick,” said Jiyong Park, who evacuated JCC.
Around 4 p.m. Monday, Jiyong Park was there for a Parent Teacher Conference with her 6-year-old daughter, Grace, when they heard the alarms.Related: Two firefighters hurt battling fire at Jewish Community Center in Woodbridge
“Everybody tried to help each other,” said Park.
She was with about 300 other people who ran out. That’s when firefighters ran in. The chief says two firefighters were hurt and one had to be carried out of the building. Both are stable.
Now, crews came out Tuesday to clean up and investigate. At this point the fire chief says the flames started in the sauna, but they don’t know the exact cause of what sparked it all.
“I just wanted to make sure my coworkers are OK, my boss was fine,” said Robert Defeo, JCC Lifeguard.
Employees came out to see the damage.Related: Bethany to decide on new radios for firefighters
“I mean every fire is kind of surprising, you don’t really expect there to be a fire anywhere,” said Defeo.
Everyone who relies on this place is now wondering when they’ll reopen.
“The teachers are wonderful. The school system have been great, So, I don’t worry,” said Park
So that Grace can get back to Kindergarten.