Milford FD reminds public to call 911 for emergencies after recent kitchen fire called in to firehouse business number

New Haven

MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Milford Fire officials are reminding the public of the importance of calling 911 in an emergency after a Milford home sustained damage during a kitchen fire Monday afternoon.

Milford Fire Battalion Chief Christopher D. Zak told News 8, crews responded to a call for a working fire at 47 Alden Place in Milford around 2 p.m.

Upon arrival, Milford Fire Department found a single-family house with smoke coming from a fire in the kitchen on the first floor.

Firefighters found heavy flames in the kitchen. It took about five minutes to extinguish.

Everyone in the home had safely evacuated.

Fire damage was confined to the first floor, but there was heavy smoke damage to the rest of the house.

No injuries to the residents or firefighters were reported.

Chief Zak added, the original caller reported the fire to the fire department’s business line and not 911. That office line is only staffed Monday through Friday 8a-4p and should not be used for emergencies. He reminds the public about the importance of calling 911 and having working smoke detectors.

“The individual that answered our phone very quickly transferred it to the 911 public safety answering point and there was very little delay in getting firefighters to the scene,” the chief explained. “But this could have been drastic if she called in the middle of the night or something along those lines.”

Chief Zak adds, a fire doubles in size every 30 seconds, and delaying the response of firefighters allows the flames to intensify.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

Local businesses showcases at CT Food Launchpad Night in New Haven

News /

New Haven Grand Prix canceled due to COVID concerns

News /

CT school districts ‘avert disaster’; Waterbury school bus company fears future walkouts with vaccine mandate

News /

Office of Chief Medical Examiner releases cause of death for New Haven Firefighter Ricardo Torres Jr.

News /

Quinnipiac Chamber of Commerce will host a business showcase and career fair on Thursday

News /

CT senators pushing for legislation to provide free, universal preschool and childcare

News /
More New Haven

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss