At around 7:45 a.m., fire crews responded to Kathy’s Clubhouse on Townsend Avenue after folks there smelled gas.
Fire crews then found a high concentration of natural gas in the basement and evacuated everyone to a nearby firehouse.
Location: 99 Townsend Ave Box 1602. Odor of natural gas at a daycare. E16,5,17 Sq1 T3 Eu1 C33— New Haven Fire (@NewHavenFire) March 22, 2019
Fire officials say they traced the source to an old, cast iron gas main under Townsend Avenue.
Townsend Ave. in New Haven closed. Large NHFD presence for odor of natural gas. Hearing about a day care that had to be evacuated. pic.twitter.com/gw4vjYhIJg— Kent Pierce (@kentpierce8) March 22, 2019
Everyone is okay, the gas was shut off and crews are working to repair that main.
New Haven fire officials saying natural gas was found in the basement of New Generations Children’s Center. Leak has been isolated and crews are venting it. No danger to the public.— Kent Pierce (@kentpierce8) March 22, 2019
There is no danger to the public.