New Haven daycare evacuated after natural gas leak found in basement

New Haven

Fire crews have responded to a daycare in New Haven for a possible gas leak on Friday morning.

At around 7:45 a.m., fire crews responded to Kathy’s Clubhouse on Townsend Avenue after folks there smelled gas. 

Fire crews then found a high concentration of natural gas in the basement and evacuated everyone to a nearby firehouse. 

Fire officials say they traced the source to an old, cast iron gas main under Townsend Avenue. 

Everyone is okay, the gas was shut off and crews are working to repair that main.

There is no danger to the public.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

'They left him to die': Hamden hit-and-run victim's father pleads for justice, closure

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "'They left him to die': Hamden hit-and-run victim's father pleads for justice, closure"

Hamden hit-and-run victim's father pleads for justice, closure

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "Hamden hit-and-run victim's father pleads for justice, closure"

Traffic lanes downtown New Haven converted into space for outdoor dining, pedestrians

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "Traffic lanes downtown New Haven converted into space for outdoor dining, pedestrians"

One resident remains missing after 3-alarm Waterbury apartment fire that displaced dozens

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "One resident remains missing after 3-alarm Waterbury apartment fire that displaced dozens"

One resident remains missing after 3-alarm Waterbury apartment fire that displaced dozens

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "One resident remains missing after 3-alarm Waterbury apartment fire that displaced dozens"

Structure fire in Waterbury

News /
Thumbnail for the video titled "Structure fire in Waterbury"
More New Haven

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss